Yayyyyy! Finally! A DIY project! And boy did I drag my feet on this one. That really seems to be my theme lately. I have got to get it together.
But, at any rate, I am FINALLY sharing the DIY Birthday Boards I made myself, my mom, and my mother-in-law for Christmas!
I love, love, love how they turned out. Both moms were pretty excited about their gifts, so I was very happy. They took a lot longer than I thought (doesn't everything), but I was still really glad I made them.
This process is really easy - even if you don't want to go vinyl crazy like I did. I've seen them done several different ways.
1 - 2' by 6'' board (My dad made mine, but Lowes or Home Depot can hook you up)
Paint in the color(s) of your choice
Round discs (I ordered mine from here)
A lot of Jump rings (10 mm, Jewelry section at Michaels)
12 eye hooks (also from Lowes or Home Depot - found with the screws and such)
Your choice of hanging mechanism (Lowes/Home Depot has a lot of options - just pick what you like best!)
If you want to make it easier on yourself, Etsy shops like this one sell kits and all you have to do is buy and paint the board separately. Or if you don't want to DIY, there's tons of already finished ones too.
1. Paint your board and let it dry.
2. Now, you can either paint the wording or use vinyl. Contact paper can be used to make a template if you want to go the painting route. As mentioned, tons of Etsy shops can hook you up with just the vinyl. (I'd be happy to as well if you want to e-mail me for a custom order!)
3. Once that's dry, screw you eye hooks in under the months.
4. Now the discs! You can make these as simple or as fancy as you'd like. I opted for fancy and spent A LOT of time on them. Most people just write on their discs - much faster. :)
5. Use the pliers to attach the jump rings to the discs. Each disc needs a jump ring at the top. I connected all the dates (in order) for each month.
6. Attach discs to eye hooks.
If you want to see other boards too, Pinterest has tons of ideas! Add a comment »